NewTerrain.us is an informational crossroads for the functional landscapes that are woven into the green infrastructure of urban and developed spaces. The business of green infrastructure is emergent; it’s developing as hundreds of professionals, regulators and entrepreneurs pursue opportunity to add site level and regional ecological functionality to public and private land, increase urban resiliency and create jobs.
Facilitating the functionality of the urban landscape will become more and more important as the country continues to urbanize. Green is the new black when it comes to stormwater: Cities across the country seek to handle stormwater with permeable pavement, bioswales and rain gardens, green roofs, cisterns, tree wells and other practices. The idea is to handle water where it falls, thus keeping it out of overburdened stormwater systems and recharging aquifers in the process.
Drivers of content on NewTerrain.us
Among the questions that drive the selection of material are:
- How do plants in the city play a role in the quality of our life?
- What role does landscape, installation, management and maintenance play in landscape functionality? In environmental impact? In economic outcome?
- Can green infrastructure/functional landscapes be sized for impact at the hyper-local level? What does that look like?
- Are cities only a place for man? Can we co-exist and even foster beneficial wildlife?
- Which plants provide the best functionality for what purposes?
- What kind of green infrastructure results with true multidisciplinary participation?
What you’ll find
Articles and items that appear in Ball Publishing’s bi-monthly NewTerrain e-newsletter. You’ll also find bibliography-like descriptions of hundreds of articles, blog posts, PowerPoint presentations, abstracts, white papers, case studies, and links to associations and programs seeking to address various aspects of green infrastructure. The items included span the gamut from policy to on-the-ground-implementation of ideas and first-hand field experiences.
The intent of NewTerrain.us is to facilitate interdisciplinary connections.
NewTerrain.us was founded by Debbie Hamrick, Raleigh, NC. She puts together an e-newsletter for Ball Publishing by the same name. During the day she is the Director of Specialty Crops for North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation. The views expressed are those of the author and not North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation.